Re: Broken again :(

Johan Pouwelse (pouwelse nospam at pds.twi.tudelft.nl)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:44:41 +0100 (MET)

> > When adding lyrics/subtitling support to the server I've corrected a
> > few other errors/warmings.
> Are you adding lyrics support so that the actual lyrics will be stored
> in the CD Index server? If so, that's not a good idea. If we do that,
> the RIAA will shut us down faster than you can say 'Napster'.
My idea is to implement an option in my CDIndex/lyrics/subtitling
client program to upload the information to news:alt.music.lyrics
Storing several news messages is not illegal. The person that posts lyrics
of songs without permission is responsible.

If we want to extend the music information of CDIndex with audio CD
covers, artist pictures, biographies, etc. we will need a system that puts
the responsibility at the submitter.

For the CDIndex server it must be possible to select in the config file if
you want to show only information that cddb carries, use also the extended
information, and to scan selected newsgroups for submissions.

Is this a good idea?

Johan.